Thursday, June 27, 2013

My Ugly Nikon F

Have you ever rescued an abused and abandoned puppy? This is how I felt when I saw this rough and dirty Nikon F. It was covered all over with sticky and dried gaffer tape residues. It looks like it was left to rut inside an old barn. The back and bottom plate was salvaged from another black Nikon F. When it arrived I was afraid to touch it without gloves. Why was this fine piece of equipment treated this way? If it could talk it must have a very interesting story to tell.
After some cleaning and removing of the dried tape residues with a little paint stripping gel, I paired it with my old Nikkor-S 50mm f1.4 lens and did some test shots. I was happy with the results, it is working beautifully. There are no light leaks and all the shutter speeds except for the 1/2 to 1 second seem very accurate. I'm keeping it for my functioning collection. Aside from being another excellent shooting tool, it would also be a good conversation piece









No comments:

Post a Comment