Monday, April 27, 2009

Balda Super Baldax

My Super Baldax arrived today from Jurgen Kreckel.
It's a German made folding medium format camera with a coupled rangefinder. It has a Schneider-Kreuznach Radionar 80mm f2.9 lens and Prontor-SVS shutter. Uses 120 roll film to produce 12 6x6 cm shots per roll. It was made in the 1950's by Balda Kamera Werk.

I like the compact design of folding cameras. I can carry it around in my coat pocket and yet produces large medium format negatives.
This particular model is slightly heftier than my Zeiss Ikon Nettar because of the rangefinder and the bigger & faster lens. It is still, however, more compact than my Rolleicord or Yashica TLR cameras. The viewfinder is also used at eye level so it's easier to focus and compose the image.

Can't wait to test it with film. I will be posting images from it soon.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Norman -- can I ask where you got the camera? I've been looking for one - and a few other Balda's - but cant' seem to find a good place to get them. Your's is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete